About me - I am a researcher in telecommunications, focused on Software-defined Networking and Network Function Virtualization. In 2012 I joined the NEC Laboratories in Heidelberg, Germany.
Earlier I worked as consultant for small technological enterprises and start-ups. I hold a Ph.D. from University of Napoli "Federico II" (the most ancient state-supported institution of higher education and research in the world)
- 23/07/2017 - Our poster abstract ""TCP Proxy Bypass: all the gain with no pain!" has been accepted for presentation at SIGCOMM 2017
- 23/07/2017 - Our poster abstract ""Is it a SmartNIC or a Key-Valye Store? Both!" has been accepted for presentation at SIGCOMM 2017
- 24/03/2017 - We presented a demo at SOSR '17: ""Implementing iptables using a programmable stateful data plane abstraction"
- 24/03/2017 - We presented a poster at NSDI '17: ""Relaxing Constraints in Stateful Network Data Plane Design"
- 10/02/2017 - I will give a talk with title "Towards a Stateful Forwarding Abstraction for Software and Hardware Network Functions" at the University of Cambridge's Computer Laboratory Systems Research Group, UK.
- 30/01/2017 - Our paper "CATENAE A Scalable Service Function Chaining System for Legacy Mobile Networks" has been accepted for publication in the Wiley International Journal of Network Management (IJNM).
- 24/11/2016 - I gave a talk with title "Redrawing the separation line between switches and controller in SDN" at the Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany.
- 11/06/2016 - Our demo "Cases for Including a Reference Monitor to SDN" has been accepted for presentation at ACM SIGCOMM 2016.
- Marco Bonola, Roberto Bifulco, Luca Petrucci, Salvatore Pontarelli, Angelo Tulumello, Giuseppe Bianchi, Implementing advanced network functions for datacenters with stateful programmable data planes. In Proceedings of IEEE LANMAN 2017()
- Luca Petrucci, Marco Bonola, Salvatore Pontarelli, Giuseppe Bianchi, Roberto Bifulco, Implementing iptables using a programmable stateful data plane abstraction: Demo . In Proceedings of the Symposium on SDN Research (SOSR '17), 2017 ( )
- R. Bifulco, A. Matsiuk, A. Silvestro, CATENAE: A Scalable Service Function Chaining System for Legacy Mobile Networks. In the Wiley International Journal of Network Management (IJNM), 2017
- Dimitrios Gkounis, Felix Klaedtke, Roberto Bifulco, Ghassan O. Karame Cases for Including a Reference Monitor to SDN. In proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2016 ( )
- Fabian Schneider, Roberto Bifulco, Anton Matsiuk Better ARP handling with InSPired SDN switches. In proceedings of IEEE LANMAN 2016 ( )
- Heng CUI, Ghassan O. Karame, Felix Klaedtke, Roberto Bifulco On the Fingerprinting of Software-defined Networks. In the IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security
- Giuseppe Siracusano, Roberto Bifulco, Simon Kuenzer, Stefano Salsano, Nicola Blefari Melazzi, Felipe Huici On-the-Fly TCP Acceleration with Miniproxy. In proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM HotMiddlebox 2016 (HotMiddlebox '16) ( )
- R. Bifulco, A. Matsiuk, A. Silvestro, Ready-to-Deploy Service Function Chaining for Mobile Networks. In proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft'16), 2016 ( )
- A. Papageorgiou, R. Bifulco, E. Kovacs, H.-J. Kolbe, Dynamic M2M Device Attachment and Redirection in Virtual Home Gateway Environments. In proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC'16), 2016 ( )
- Roberto Bifulco, Julien Boite, Mathieu Bouet, Fabian Schneider, Improving SDN with InSPired Switches. In proceedings of the ACM Symposium on SDN Research (SOSR '16), 2016 ( )
- Roberto Bifulco and Anton Matsiuk. Towards Scalable SDN Switches: Enabling Faster Flow Table Entries Installation. In Proceedings of the 2015 ACM Conference on Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM '15), 2015. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2785956.2790008 ( )
- Roberto Bifulco, Heng CUI, Ghassan Karame, Felix Klaedtke, Fingerprinting Software-defined Networks. In Proceedings of ICNP Workhops (CoolSDN), 2015. ( ). An extended version of this paper (currently under submission) is available:
- T. Dietz, R. Bifulco, F. Manco, J. Martins, H.-J. Kolbe, F. Huici, Enhancing the BRAS through virtualization. In 1st IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft), 2015. doi: 10.1109/NETSOFT.2015.7116144 ( )
- G. Klaedtke, G.O. Karame, R. Bifulco, H. Cui, Towards an access control scheme for accessing flows in SDN. In SEC-SDN workshop of the 1st IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization (NetSoft), 2015. doi: 10.1109/NETSOFT.2015.7116185 ( )
- Radu Stoenescu, Vladimir Olteanu, Matei Popovici, Mohamed Ahmed, Joao Martins, Roberto Bifulco, Filipe Manco, Felipe Huici, Georgios Smaragdakis, Mark Handley, and Costin Raiciu. In-Net: in-network processing for the masses. In Proceedings of the Tenth European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys '15), 2015. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2741948.2741961 ( )
- Joao Martins, Mohamed Ahmed, Costin Raiciu, Vladimir Olteanu, Michio Honda, Roberto Bifulco, and Felipe Huici. ClickOS and the art of network function virtualization. In Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Conference on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI'14). 2014 ( )
- J. Rukert, R. Bifulco, M. Rizwan-Ul-Haq, H.-J. Kolbe, D. Hausheer. Flexible traffic management in broadband access networks using Software Defined Networking in IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS), 2014 doi: 10.1109/NOMS.2014.6838322 ( )
- Roberto Bifulco, Ghassan Karame. Towards a richer set of services in software-defined networks. In Proceedings of SENT'14 workshop, co-located with Internet Society NDSS, 2014 ( )
- Felix Klaedtke, Ghassan O. Karame, Roberto Bifulco, and Heng Cui. 2014. Access control for SDN controllers. In Proceedings of the third workshop on Hot topics in software defined networking (HotSDN '14), co-located with ACM SIGCOMM. 2014. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2620728.2620773 ( )
- M. Dusi, R. Bifulco, F. Gringoli, F. Schneider. Reactive logic in software-defined networking: Measuring flow-table requirements in TRAC Workshop, co-located with the International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), 2014, doi: 10.1109/IWCMC.2014.6906380 ( )
- R. Bifulco, M. Dusi. Position Paper: Reactive Logic in Software-Defined Networking: Accounting for the Limitations of the Switches Third European Workshop on Software Defined Networks (EWSDN), 2014, doi: 10.1109/EWSDN.2014.22 ( )
- R. Bifulco, T. Dietz, F. Huici, M. Ahmed, J. Martins, S. Niccolini, H.J. Kolbe. Rethinking Access Networks with High Performance Virtual Software BRASes. Second European Workshop on Software Defined Networks (EWSDN), 2013, doi: 10.1109/EWSDN.2013.8. ( )
- R. Bifulco, F. Schneider. OpenFlow Rules Interactions: Definition and Detection. IEEE SDN for Future Networks and Services (SDN4FNS), 2013. doi: 10.1109/SDN4FNS.2013.6702547. ( )
- R. Bifulco, G. B. Barone, V. Boccia, D. Bottalico, L. Carracciuolo, R. Canonico. GaaS: Customized Grids in the Clouds. In Euro-Par 2012: Parallel Processing Workshops (Ioannis Caragiannis, Michael Alexander et al. eds.). Proceedings of 7th Workshop on Virtualization and High-Performance Cloud Computing (VHPC'12), co-located with Euro-Par, 2012. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-36949-0_67 ( )
- R. Bifulco, and R. Canonico. Analysis of the Handover Procedure in Follow-Me Cloud. Poster presented at the First IEEE International Conference on Cloud Networking (IEEE CloudNet '12), 2012. ISBN: 978-1-4673-2797-8 DOI: 10.1109/CloudNet.2012.6483683 ( )
- R. Bifulco, M. Brunner, R. Canonico, P. Hasselmeyer, and F. Mir. Scalability of a mobile cloud management system. Proceedings of the first edition of the MCC workshop on Mobile Cloud Computing (MCC '12), co-located with ACM SIGCOMM, 2012. ( )
- R. Bifulco, R. Canonico, M. Brunner, P. Hasselmeyer, and F. Mir. A practical experience in designing an OpenFlow controller. Proceedings of the first edition of the European Workshop on Software Defined Networks (EWSDN '12), 2012. ( )
- G. Di Stasi, R. Bifulco, F. P. D'Elia, S. Avallone, R. Canonico, A. Apostolaras, N. Giallelis, T. Korakis and L. Tassiulas. Experimenting with P2P traffic optimization for Wireless Mesh Networks in a federated OMF-PlanetLab environment. Proceedings of WCNC 2011, IEEE Wireless Communications & Networking Conference, 2011. ISBN: 978-1-61284-254-7 DOI: 10.1109/WCNC.2011.5779251 ( )
- G. Di Stasi, R. Bifulco, S. Avallone, R. Canonico, A. Apostolaras, N. Giallelis, T. Korakis and L. Tassiulas. Interconnection of geographically distributed wireless mesh testbeds: Resource sharing on a large scale. In Ad Hoc Networks, Elsevier, Volume 9, Issue 8, 2011. ISSN: 1570-8705 DOI: 10.1016/j.adhoc.2011.03.002. ( )
- R. Bifulco, R. Canonico, G. Ventre, V. Manetti. Transparent migration of virtual infrastructures in large datacenters for Cloud computing. Prooceedings of IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), 2011. doi: 10.1109/ISCC.2011.5984013 ( )
- G.B. Barone, R. Bifulco, V. Boccia, D. Bottalico, L. Carracciuolo. Toward a Flexible, Environmentally Conscious, on Demand High Performance Computing Service. First International Conference on Data Compression, Communications and Processing (CCP), 2011. doi: 10.1109/CCP.2011.14. ( )
- C. Mazzariello, R. Bifulco, R. Canonico. Integrating a network IDS into an open source Cloud Computing environment. Sixth International Conference on Information Assurance and Security (IAS), 2010. doi: 10.1109/ISIAS.2010.5604069. ( )
- R. Bifulco, G. Di Stasi, R. Canonico. NEPTUNE for fast and easy deployment of OMF virtual network testbeds. Poster and demo presented at ACM WiNTECH 2010, the Fifth ACM International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental evaluation and Characterization, 2010. ( )
- Vittorio Manetti, Pasquale Di Gennaro, Roberto Bifulco, Roberto Canonico, and Giorgio Ventre. 2009. Dynamic virtual cluster reconfiguration for efficient IaaS provisioning. In Proceedings of the 2009 international conference on Parallel processing (Euro-Par'09), 2009. ( )
- P. Di Gennaro, R. Bifulco, R. Canonico. Link Multiplexing in a Xen-based Network Emulation System. Proceedings of NGNM 2009, 6th International Workshop on Next Generation Networking Middleware, co-located with MANWEEK, 2009. ISBN: 978-3-930736-14-0 ( )